In today’s world, you know you need a LinkedIn profile to put your best professional foot forward. But do you also know how often you should update it? In other words, should you be polishing it every day, every month or just once a year?
The answer is: all of the above. As one of Houston’s top employment agencies, Murray Resources knows that if you want the strongest, most compelling LinkedIn profile possible, you should really update it on a regular basis. Don’t leave this all-important task until you’re just about to launch a job search. Instead, when you consistently keep it updated, your profile will be more detailed and persuasive, making a stronger impact on recruiters and hiring managers.
So check in on your LinkedIn profile on a regular basis and plan to spend about 20 minutes reviewing and enhancing it. This can be tough with a busy schedule. To make sure you actually do it, schedule this task into your routine. Whether you decide to do it weekly or monthly is up to you. Just commit to making ongoing changes so you can ensure your LinkedIn profile is as current as possible, as well as easier to find by recruiters and hiring managers.
Some other tips to help your LinkedIn profile get noticed:
- Post a headshot that’s polished and professional. It doesn’t have to be from a pricey photographer; it can simply be a shot you take at home.
- Rework your headline. This is one of the first elements of your LinkedIn profile that recruiters will see. So you want to ensure it’s compelling and also clearly explains what you do.
- Focus on accomplishments and your successful track record. Just as you would on your resume, focus on what you’ve produced in the way of results for past employers. Don’t simply talk about tasks and responsibilities.
- Customize your LinkedIn profile. So rather than it being Courtneycampbell12349, it’s simply CourtneyCampbell or something similar.
- Ask for recommendations. Another area recruiters will take a look at is your recommendations. So reach out to those in your network who could provide you with positive ones and ask if they’d be willing to recommend you.
Need more help getting noticed by recruiters and hiring managers?
Call the experts at Murray Resources. As one of Houston’s top employment agencies, we can connect you to top employers and rewarding jobs in a variety of fields. Contact us today to learn more or get started.