Houston is not only Murray Resources’ home base, it’s also host to one of the fastest-growing and most diverse populations in the world. Thousands of people from all over the globe relocate to Houston every year – many of them young families with children. We thought we would put together a list of fun things to do with the little ones.
Whether you’re visiting Houston with your children or relocating for good, the following activities will keep your little ones entertained.
1) Houston Zoo
• Address: 6200 Hermann Park Drive; Houston, TX 77030
• The Houston Zoo provides a fun, unique, and inspirational experience fostering appreciation, knowledge, and care for the natural world.
• Over 6000 permanent residents (our animals) for whom we provide housing, meals, medical care and, yes, even education
2) Children’s Museum of Houston
• Address: 1500 Binz; Houston, TX 77004
• A Playground for Your Mind!
• The Children’s Museum of Houston is packed with 90,000 square feet of interactive exhibits.
3) Sugar Land Skeeters
• Address: 1 Stadium Drive; Sugar Land, TX 77498
• Since 2012, the Sugar Land Skeeters have provided affordable, family-fun entertainment at Constellation Field in Sugar Land, Texas.
• Nine innings of baseball just got a lot more fun.
4) Brazos Bend State Park
• Address: 21901 FM 762 Road; Needville , TX , 77461
• Brazos Bend State Park, a 5,000-acre gem on the Upper Texas Coast, is just 40 miles from downtown Houston and offers a wide variety of activities for every age: biking, fishing, hiking, birding, camping, star-gazing, and opportunities to learn about Texas’ bountiful natural history via free programs and guided hikes.
• The park’s scenic terrain has been carved gently over time by the vigorous Brazos River, which marks its eastern boundary.
5) The Houston Museum of Natural Science
• Address: 5555 Hermann Park Dr., Houston, Texas 77030; Houston, TX 77030
• A stinky flower is one of the most popular exhibits at the museum.
• Don’t miss the paleontology exhibit’s main attraction: Tyrannosaurus rex
6) Ice Skate at the Galleria
• Address: 5015 Westheimer Rd., Ste. 1260; Houston, TX 77056
• It may seem a little odd to go ice skating in the middle of a shopping mall, but it’s a 30-year-old tradition at Houston’s Galleria.
• If the kids discover that they just don’t have the gift for ice skating, there are plenty of toy stores and ice cream shops nearby to keep them happy.
7) Cockrell Butterfly Center
• Address: 5555 Hermann Park Dr.; Houston, Texas 77030
• In the Chrysalis Corner, kids can watch butterflies emerge, completing their amazing transformation from caterpillar to flying beauty.
• Hardcore bug lovers will want to see the hissing cockroaches and whip scorpions.
8) Space Center Houston
• Address: 1601 NASA Parkway; Houston, TX 77058
• Figures in space suits, encased in glass tubes, stare down at you from around the room.
• The Feel of Space presentation gives kids a sense of what it’s like to live and work in space.
9) Discovery Green
• Address: 1500 McKinney Street in Downtown Houston
• Discovery Green is open daily from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., though times may vary for special events.
• Discovery Green features numerous recreational activities, including a one-acre lake, dog runs, playgrounds, interactive water features, restaurants, wi-fi capability (at the HPL Express, operated by the Houston Public Library), artwork, an amphitheater and more.
10) Downtown Aquarium
• Address: 410 Bagby St @ Memorial Dr.; Houston, TX 77002
• In addition to a 500,000 gallon aquarium, the Downtown Aquarium entertainment complex has a Ferris wheel, carnival-style games, a restaurant and white tigers.
11) Menil Collection
• Address: 1515 Sul-Ross St, Houston, TX 77006
• Works by Warhol and Matisse are available and the Byzatine Icons exhibit is considered one of the most important of its kind.
• The founders of the Menil Collection are John de Menil and Dominique Schlumberger de Menil who moved to the United States during World War II and made their home in Houston.
12) Hermann Park
• Hermann Dr at Fannin; Houston, TX 77030
• This conservancy is a citizen’s organization dedicated to the conservation of the community’s natural environment.
• It features 445 acres to run, jump, and play on, along with walking trails, fishing, a railroad train and pedal boats.
13) Houston Family Arts Center
• 10760 Grant Rd; Houston, TX 77077
• Known as an intimate setting for all ages, the theatre is a great place to see a diverse selection of performing arts
• They have produced legendary musicals, dramas and comedies on the main stage, including Godspell, Driving Miss Daisy, and Midsummer Night’s Dream.
14) Splashway Waterpark
• Address: 5211 Main Street; Sheridan, TX 77475
• Splashway is a family water park and campground in Sheridan, Texas. We are located on US Highway 90-A, 20 minutes south of Interstate 10, between San Antonio and Houston, one hour west of Katy and Sugar Land, and a little over an hour and a half south of Austin
• Relax under a private cabana and bring your picnic in the waterpark, your own meats to grill, or satisfy the family with juicy burgers, grande nachos, funnel cakes, and Dippin’ Dots ice cream from our cafes.